Thursday, November 19, 2009

I am going in armed and ready for answers!!!!!

I see my regular family doctor tomorrow. I never enjoy this as he almost makes me feel like a bother and has gotten me pretty messed up in the medication department. He is retiring in June and I have decided that I am not going to allow him to leave me with the mess he has created with my meds.
I did a ton of research tonight on different medications and options. There was one medication that I was on previously gabapentin and it was working not too bad but my drug plan did not pay for it and I could not longer afford it. So I have done more reading and there is a newer better version of it called pregabalin. I am not sure whether or not it is covered or not but after doing much research I have come across forms my doctor can fill out to the Ministry of Health to request that the drug be covered. So I am printing the forms out and bringing them along with all the research I have done. Since I take 2 benzos that I have built up a tolerance for an no longer sleep I know that I have to do something and since he is my doctor I am damn well going to make him accountable and let him know that it is his primary responsibility to help me get on the right meds. Since I have tried almost every med out there I dont think the Ministry will deny our request for the drug. It is normally used for nerve pain but has shown alot of promising things for anxiety and insomnia with little to no interactions or side effects.
So beyond that I am demanding that he test my adrenals. My surgeon mentioned that it was something my doctor should have checked long ago but he hasnt and he keeps putting me off. Well no more. Tomorrow he will be giving me the req for the test. Its my health, and I am not going to let him think that its ok to make me feel small because I have health anxiety. I have legitimate reasons to see him just like everyone else.
Ugh enough talk about him. My 6 week appt went great, I got the ok for the gym!!! and for sex. However I must admit I am BEYOND terrified about the sex. I mean I just had stitches holding things closed. I have read some horrible stories and I am just plain scared. Thankfully my husband respects that to a degree. I know I have to smarten up and not wait forever. I cannot believe it has been 6 weeks since my surgery. What a blur. Since the anxiety came back so full force it makes for days that just blend into one another. Wake up, eat, sleep. I need to break out of the rut and the first step is getting some sleep. Its now 2:30 am so looks like a good time to start!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'm going through the exact same thing with my doctor. I don't feel she really listens to me.

Robert said...

Good luck with the doctor tomorrow. Good positive attitude, and assertive as well. Make sure it lasts!